Job Description: Conservation Associate
Hours: 40 hours per week
Location: Boise, ID
Supervisor: Executive Director
Idaho Rivers United is a result-driven, campaign-oriented conservation organization formed in 1990 to help citizens protect and restore the rivers of Idaho. We achieve our goals through a mix of direct advocacy, education, citizen involvement, collaboration and, when necessary, litigation. Today, Idaho Rivers United has approximately 3,500 members, an active volunteer board of directors and a professional staff of organizers, advocates, activists and technical experts.
About the Position:
The Conservation Associate works to prioritize and implement IRU’s conservation goals. This position requires a deep commitment to the mission of IRU and a strong passion for protecting rivers and the species that depend on rivers for their survival. The position also requires a broad skillset that includes strong natural resource, public land, legal, political, collaborative, communication and social skills.
More specifically, the essential skills required of this position include:
- Strategic thinking skills.
- Excellent writing and public speaking skills.
- At least rudimentary knowledge of state and federal laws and management policies related to rivers, water management, water conservation and energy development.
- An understanding of the threats and challenges to Idaho’s rivers and streams and the ability to develop creative solutions.
- Grassroots organizing skills and the ability to work effectively with volunteers.
- Work with the executive director and other staff to develop conservation priorities in accordance with the direction provided by IRU’s strategic plan.
- Assist in development and implementation of annual conservation work plans.
- Assist the executive director and development staff in fundraising and outreach activities.
- Assist outreach staff with conservation messaging for electronic, print, event and website use.
- Engage in high priority conservation projects.
- Where possible, build and maintain relationships with state and federal congressionals and their staffs, state and federal agencies and tribes.
- Coordinate IRU’s conservation program work with other conservation groups in Idaho and nationwide.
- Represent IRU in a positive light in the press, and with members, volunteers and allied organizations.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Demonstrated passion for rivers and watershed conservation. Two to three years of conservation work experience desired. Nonprofit work experience preferable.
- Collaborative team player with excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Adobe applications.
- Experience with nonprofit fundraising and donor management helpful.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple, diverse tasks.
- Ability to travel and work after normal business hours and on weekends.
Benefits and Compensation:
Annual salary is competitive and benefits include employer-provided health and dental insurance and generous leave. IRU is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity, equity and inclusion.
Applications should include a resume, professional references, writing sample and cover letter addressed to: Kevin Lewis, Executive Director via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Conservation Associate” as the subject line in your communication. Open until filled.